One of the things I enjoy most about PR is the fast-paced nature of the industry. However, because there’s always so much going on, it’s easy to get caught up in day-to-day work and deadlines. This is why it’s especially important to make time for professional growth. And, there’s no better place for that than the Women Inspiring Leadership Development (WILD) Summit, which I recently had the pleasure of attending. Dawn Doty, Linhart PR vice president and partner, serves on the steering committee for this group.
The keynote speaker at this year’s event was Barbara Mowry, CEO and founder of GoreCreek Advisors, a management consulting firm focused on working with CEOs and company leadership on business strategy and innovation. Barbara’s diverse background and experiences have given her a unique perspective on business and success, which she graciously shared with the audience.
Here are some of her words of wisdom:
- Successful people go toward something, not away
- You can’t always control what happens, but you absolutely own how you react to it
- The world isn’t fair, so learn to deal with it. There’s so much injustice out there that you have to pick your fights. And, it’s important to remember that not all injustices are created equal
- Ask for what you want. You need to make a case, but ask for it. Think about what’s the worst that can happen?
- Negative people have a problem for every solution
- You only have so much time and energy. Use both wisely
- Failure is a step on the way to success. If you haven’t failed, you’re not trying hard enough. There’s a reason why everyone says you learn more than failure than success
- Have fun in what you’re doing
Some of these are simple ideas, but it’s easy to see how someone who employs this advice on a regular basis couldn’t help but be successful. Professional growth is as much about what we do as how we do it and how we approach it.